Upper School students are encouraged to find their artistic voice while experimenting with a wide variety of media, skills and techniques. Students are challenged to step outside of the box and explore new mediums and ideas. Lessons include historical as well as contemporary approaches. They are encouraged to be experimental, take risks and be innovative in their approach to art. The lessons promote analytical thinking and self-evaluation. Within the class, there is involvement between students in the school, community and colleges.
Middle School students are encouraged to visually express themselves while exploring a variety of materials and techniques to convey ideas and feelings. They also learn to engage in creative problem-solving. A study of the history of art and artists is included through research and discussion. Students learn how art influences individuals, societies, and cultures. Students learn how to observe, judge, discriminate, compare, and contrast art throughout history and within the artworks of their peers. Students also work on projects which correlate with the curriculum of the core academic areas, allowing for cross-disciplinary learning.
The Lower School arts curriculum expands the innate creativity in children and fosters their natural love of beauty, and their own pleasure in expressing themselves creatively in a stimulating and safe atmosphere. The visual arts department seeks to draw out the creativity that exists in each child. Meeting the standards of learning for each level from pre-kindergarten to grade five is achieved through thoughtful planning of projects that introduce various mediums and concepts as children move through the Lower School. The students learn to critique and appreciate works of art from different eras and cultures. The curriculum is supported by many resources including Scholastic Art, School Arts Magazine, digital/computer programs and visits to the Vero Beach Museum of Art.
A sampling of events that enhance the Saint Edward’s Visual Arts Curriculum:
- Family Holiday Fest at Riverside Park Upper and Middle School students volunteer at the crafts zone.
- The Saint Edward’s Holiday Card Art Contest
- Woman’s Club Art Contest: Upper School contest juried by the VB art club
- Dale Sorensen Real Estate art contest: Middle and Upper School submit entries
- Students artwork on exhibit at the Vero Beach Museum of Art (Children’s Eggert Gallery) - Lower, Middle and Upper School
- Guest Lecturer from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising visits Upper School classes
- Congressman Bill Posey’s Patriotic Art Contest
- Indian River County Juried Student Exhibition at the Vero Beach Museum of Art Winners: Upper and Middle School.
- Lower School Spring Art show showcases student art from the entire year.
- Artworks by Lower, Middle and Upper School students are selected for covers of theater, band and chorus programs, alumni communications, commencement programs and posters.
- Lower School Murals created by students grace the halls of the Lower School.
- Thank you cards created by Lower, Middle and Upper School students for donors and benefit sponsors
- Art by Lower, Middle and Upper School students is on display in the Fine Arts Building, in the Lower School and in the Waxlax Center for the Performing Arts
- Upper School students may enroll in Advanced Placement Art and receive college credit
- Middle School students participate in Photography Club